Wednesday 9 January 2013

Weaving












My weaving 
My colour palette from my popup collection of objects


More colours from my collection of objects- my soap bar, and other colourful items

My winding colour palette from a weaving block task



  
Working to create a new rough texture.
Double cloth weaving with beetroot dyed linen and cream wool.
I wanted to experiment by dying old linen cloth with beetroot, and chopping it into small strips. I then sewed it with cream thread before I wove the strips with cream wool.


Diced weave



Plain weave, with my own patten below



A collection of my weavings just cut off the loom

A mixture of weaving techniques as I was getting used to the loom


Add captionWeaving using an old sack, wool fabric dyed with tea and brown wool. Experimenting using white cotton thread for the waft for a contrast with my warp. 

Plain weaving using different coloured thread and straw                                                              



A detail showing the weave


A closeup of my piece with weft of thick thread and knotted straw with a warp of wool. Another experiment to create a rough texture, but this time in similar colours to create a subtle organic feeing.

Double cloth side 1

Double cloth side 2
I mixed wool with natural straw to see the effect. I love to mix unusual combinations of texture- the smooth wool with the rough straw. This continues the work on my Popup objects, which are hard and rough in texture.




















Diamond weave with natural brown thread

The experience of weaving has been very inspiring as I had never used the loom before. I started by experimenting with different techniques of weaving, using different coloured thread, and carried on by mixing in other materials like straw, and dyed linen to get new effects. I used nartural dye such as beetroot to get different effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment