Monday 28 January 2013

Popup project notes


Pop up project notes
We have been asked for the Pop up project to make a selection of objects.
For my Pop-up project I have chosen objects related to my memory, my culture, found objects and my love of natural colours.
Inspiration came from the rough guide project, picking things laying on the street that people had stepped on or thrown away, and the marks people left on these objects. Things fall on the ground, paper falls and people step on it, conkers fall hard and sharp. The conkers leave a mark as they fall, the paper is marked by peoples steps .They are full of memories, like a finger-print on a passport. I imagine all the people who have passed by, stepped on these objects, people from all over the world.  People leaving coins from many countries, dropped by bank machines, in front of cafes, on street corners.
Stage 1
We have been asked to draw the objects in different ways- line drawings, drawings against a dark background, assemblies of objects
Stage 2
Drawing objects and describing them. Texture.
I used the skin of a conker, and the skin of a cassava (the food I was brought up on) to make my marks. I chose a conker as one of my objects because of the sharp, spiky skin and used the texture of the conker with acrylic paint to capture the sharpness, roughness and hardness of the conker. I found conkers on the street under the trees where they fell and hit the ground. I used fallen tree bark- this relates to the memory of the mask- made of wood.
I want my objects to have a connection with each other, with the pavement, with the vegetable coloured soap, with the ground around the tree. The Cassava is a root vegetable. It has hard lines like little routes, like a map and earthy looking skin. I ate Cassava at home every day.
I also used a needle to dip in ink to make fine lines for some of my patterns to express the texture of my object into my pattern drawing. Using the natural colours from my object collection, the covers of my soap packets to make the drawings.
Stage 3
Using your object -Swatch book
Today we are supposed to only use black acrylic paint or ink to make patterns.

Description of my objects
As I am using natural and cultural objects. I have a combination of African vegetables-cassava, pineapple, macabo;  the colourful packets of bars of soap peach and melon, grapes, carrots; a wooden African mask; tree bark,  conkers fallen onto the ground
I used the objects texture to (inform) my choices. I used the texture of those objects for my swatch book drawings.
Conkers sharp, rough as the pavement. Roughness, ground, pavement, scratchy and hitting the ground
Cassava-brown, hard, a root vegetable, earthy, rough skin
Pineapple- rough, spiky, yellow, green, scratchy
Natural soaps, fruits and vegetables, rich natural colours, organic
I wanted to use the brightness of the vegetable images on the soap packages
BaLuba Mask from the Congo- memory, African tradition and culture, wood, carving, art.
The mask has lines like the cassava.

Receipts and money found on the street
Multi-culture- people coming from different parts of the world. The different texts and textures.

No comments:

Post a Comment